Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dark Chocolate Brownies

Cakes don't get made very often in my kitchen. The reason behind this is that, well....we are brownie people. Who wants a slice of cake when you can have a moist, rich, fudgy brownie? Since all of the crazy food allergies popped up I haven't had a brownie in a long time, (we are talking months here people!)

So I began my search to find an allergy friendly gluten free brownie recipe. I ended up making my own since I would find one that was gluten free but it would have eggs, if it didn't have eggs it would have dairy, or it just wouldn't be gluten free! So here is what I came up with and lets just say the hubby was very pleased and told me I better hide them if I want some!

Next time I am going to try to sweeten them with just dates and see how it goes. I think dates would make them even more fudgy.

It's dark I know, but we are dark chocolate fanatics in this house! you can easily use regular cocoa instead of the dark cocoa. Here is an interesting article on Dutch vs Natural Cocoa

Wet mix
6 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup coconut oil melted
1/3 cup raw sugar
20 drops of liquid stevia
 4 Tbs applesauce unsweetened
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Dry mix
2/3 cup gf flour blend
2 Tbs flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/2 cup Chopped Nuts (optional)

Preheat oven 350 and grease an 8x8 or 9x5 pan.
 
Melt the coconut oil and whisk in the cocoa powder. Mix in the sugar, stevia, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir until sugar is dissolved.

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and flax meal together.

Slowly stir the wet mix into the flour mixture. Add the nuts either in the mixture or just sprinkle 2 Tbs on top.

Pour into greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Cool, remove, and cut into squares.

*Trick* grease the pan and lay parchment paper inside so that 2 parallel edges fit perfectly in the pan and 2 parallel edges stick slightly out of the pan. Grease the parchment paper. After the brownies have cooled in the pan lift the paper out and the brownies can be cut evenly. 

No comments: