Also this recipe can be found on Real Food Wednesday, along with other great dishes!
- 1 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups hot chicken or fish stalk
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, any kind, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 6 oz andouille smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 tsp paprika or Bay seasoning
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1-2 tsps red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 large jumbo shrimp or 30 small
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet. Add 1 cup of brown rice and stir until lightly toasted. Move into a very large pot and add in the chicken or fish stalk. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low. Let the rice cook for 40 minutes before adding in the other ingredients.
- Then heat 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat in the same skillet used for the rice. Add in the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic. Stir and cook for about 8-10 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Add this to the large pot of rice.
- Use the skillet again to heat up the other Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Add the chicken and sausages and cook for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle the paprika or Bay seasoning over the meat and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium heat, then pour in the can of diced tomatoes. Stir in the oregano, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, and shrimp. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through. Pour into the large pot along with the parsley. Gently stir until the ingredients are mixed together.
- Transfer to a large serving dish (optional), garnish with fresh herbs, and serve
- Total cook time is about 1 hour and 10 minutes.