Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cashew Milk

I have been making my own raw cashew milk and it is the best non-dairy milk I have ever had.
Trader Joe's sells raw cashews for $5.49 per lb, this is where I currently buy them. I would like to buy them from azure standard, however I need to call them and find a drop point in Seattle.
Buy nut milk bags, they work far better than a cheese cloth, plus they are really easy to clean.
For those interested, Whole Foods has some great health info on cashews.

I learned how to make nut milk from The Spunky Coconut, Kelly Brozyna has a wonderful gluten free, casein free, and sugar free site.


Cashew Milk

Raw Cashew Milk

  • Soak 1 cup raw cashews with 1 tsp sea salt for 8 hours. 
  • Drain the water and rinse the cashews. 
  • Add them to a blender along with 4 cups of filtered water
  • Blend for one minute and strain the liquid through a nut milk bag. The milk will stay fresh for 6 days in the fridge. 


Notes
*I often add a can of coconut milk to the nut milk to thicken it up and make it more rich!
*Feel free to add a few drops of liquid stevia or a tsp of your favorite sweetener to the milk.
*This method also works to make other nut milks. I've done almond milk. Mixed nuts: 1/2 cup raw cashews and 1/2 cup toasted peanuts to make a rich tasting hot cocoa. Mix nuts and seeds: cashews and sunflower seeds.

No comments: