Monday, January 31, 2011

Tikka Masala

If you are looking for a dinner that is quick to make and tastes great, then this is the dish to go to!  We have tried a few different versions of this dish and  Vegetarian Nation has beat out the competition. I have made a few alterations to adjust it to our liking. In fact Tyler and I have "fought" over who gets the leftovers the next day for lunch, it's that good!



Tikka Masala Recipe
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced
  • 16 oz diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs honey
  • 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk 
  • 2 tsp of garam masala and if you don't have any, use the following:
      • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
      • 1/2 tsp black pepper
      • 2 tsp ground cumin
      • Pinch of nutmeg
      • 1/4 tsp chili powder
      • 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro to sprinkle on top when serving 
    • Brown rice
    Boil 1 cup of brown rice  and make the tikka masala while the rice is cooking on low heat.

    Sauté oniongarliccelery, and ginger in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.

    Add *carrots and cook for a few more minutes. Season with garam masala, then stir in diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and non-dairy milk.

    Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens.  Serve over brown rice and sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.


    *I steam the carrots before adding them to soften them 

    4 comments:

    Nichelle said...

    I love, love, LOVE masala!! I'm definitely trying this!! :)

    Kathryn M said...

    A good friend of mine made it for her family and said it was a hit. My sis-in-law made it as well and gave it her approval. My omnivore husband requests it so taste wise I think you'll be happy. I love how fast and easy it is to throw together!

    Courtney said...

    I ate the tikka masala left overs after I made it for a few days and it was just so delicious. This is definitely something I'm going to make over and over again. I'm looking forward to more recipes from you so I can try them out! :)

    Kathryn M said...

    Thanks Court! I'd love to try some of your favorites as well.