Saturday, October 16, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Time for black bean burgers, they have tons of flavor and are a healthy option when I am out of grass fed ground beef. I also love that this recipe makes 18 burgers and they freeze well, which makes for easy future dinners!

 Uncooked black bean burger, it's ready to get grilled!

After it's been grilled

Black bean burger, ready to eat!

Black Bean Burgers

  • 4 cups cooked, rinsed and drained black beans 
    • (1 1/2 cups of dry beans makes about 4 cups cooked, also cook them with garlic, onion, and celery to add flavor)
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
    •  (1/2 cup dry will make 1 cup cooked)
  • 2 Tbs flax seed
  • 3Tbs water
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 Tbs ground cumin 
  • 1 Tbs dried parsley
  • 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes 
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt 
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • Gluten Free Bread Crumbs or oat flour (to roll in)


  1. Cook black beans (this needs to be done in advance) or buy a few cans of black beans. Cook the quinoa while mixing the other ingredients.
  2. Chop the cilantro, dice the onion, and mince the garlic. (I used my food processor.) Place in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Place 2 cups of the black beans in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until chunky.
  4. Transfer to the large mixing bowl. Add flax meal and mix with water.  Add remaining whole black beans, tomato paste, cumin, parsley, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and mix until well combined.  When the quinoa is done cooking mix that in as well.
  5. Let chill in fridge for 15 minutes to set up.
  6. Can cook in a lightly greased pan, I used a pancake griddle so I could cook 9 at a time. Turn griddle onto 375 and make the patties while warming up.
  7. Pour some gluten free bread crumbs onto a plate. Scoop out 1/4 cup bean mix and lightly roll in the bread crumbs. This prevents the bean mixture from sticking to your hands.  Then form a patty about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter. If you want bigger patties scoop  1/3 of a cup.
  8. Spray the griddle/pan and cook for about five minutes on the first side or until well seared and with a flipping spatula, turn onto second side and allow to cook for an additional five minutes


    This made 18 burgers so you could easily half the recipe. I like making a large batch like this and then freezing the leftovers between parchment paper. Then all I have to do is microwave a burger, grab ketchup n mustard, chop up my tomato, lettuce, pickles, onion, and toast a gluten free bun!


    NOTE: I cooked my own black beans and I didn't drain them well enough (I just scooped them out of the pot and tried to avoid the liquid) so I had to blend up gluten free oatmeal to thicken the "batter."  So drain the black beans well or you may have to add a thickener of some sort. I have made them in the past with well drained beans and I haven't had to add anything.  Lesson learned: trying to take the easy way out just makes for more work!

      1 comment:

      Joudie's Mood Food said...

      Hi Kathryn and Tyler, this is Joudie from MOOD FOOD. I am just replying to your problem making my hasselback potatoes.... I think there may have been 2 problems. 1), your potatoes may have been too big and 2), the temperature. i am using Celcius. So you should have put your oven to 425. I hope that helps. Thanks for passing by....