Monday, October 4, 2010

Roasted Garlic Hummus

Not the best picture but it was soo good I just wanted to eat it right away!!

Hummus is one of my favorite foods. It's healthy, taste great, and is very versatile. My top 3 are Roasted Red Bell Pepper, Jalapeño with Cilantro, and the one I am about to give you-Roasted Garlic Hummus!

Hummus calls for Tahini. You can buy a jar for 8-11 bucks at the store or blend up your own and save a ton of money. I usually buy 1 lb of sesame seeds out of the self serve bins for $3.50. You only need 1/2 cup of sesame seeds and you'll be able to make this hummus recipe a couple times.

Tahini
1/2 cup hulled sesame seeds
1 Tbs olive oil

Dump the sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat on the stove. Stir the seeds until the start popping and turn golden brown. Usually takes about 7 minutes or so, remove and let cool on a plate. Pour the seeds into a food processor, add 1 Tbs of olive oil, and blend until it turns into nut butter. Seal in an air tight container and it will store in the fridge for several weeks.

Roasted Garlic
1 bulb garlic
1 Tbs olive oil

Cut the garlic bulb in half and place them on 2 sheets of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap up the bulbs in the foil. Set oven to 375 and roast in oven for 40 minutes. The garlic with be very soft, golden brown and easy to squeeze out of the bulb.


 As you can see the sesame seeds aren't completely pureed. I used sesame seeds that were NOT hulled. The store was all out of hulled so instead of buying a jar I decided to try unhulled. I put the garlic in and after a few minutes I eventually had nut butter. So for quick tahini use HULLED! 

Roasted Garlic Hummus

1 bulb roasted garlic
2 Tbs olive oil
15 oz chickpeas cooked and drained (garbanzo beans)
2 Tbs tahini
Juice 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt or 1/2 tsp veggie base 
Chopped parsley and Greek olives for garnish (optional)

Add all the ingredients except the garnish into the food processer. You'll have to squeeze out the garlic. Blend until very smooth. Scrape into a bowl and top with the garnish. Serve with carrots, cucumbers, celery, radishes, crackers, pita bread, and any other food you like to dip with.

I made whole wheat crackers to dip in my hummus that turned out wonderful! I'll be posting them soon!  



No comments: