Sunday, April 3, 2011

Curried Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans

I have made this dish vegan with roasted chickpeas but I have also roasted organic free range chicken. Both ways are delicious and I am sure both ways will be made again.

 I found the recipe at A Good Appetite  they make theirs in a crock pot (which I've done). However this last time I baked the potatoes and cooked everything separately. Both ways taste great!

 I put the curry on top of spinach for dinner, but I prefer the spinach chopped and mixed in better

For lunch the next day I chopped up the spinach and mixed it in. I like the texture better this way. 


Ingredients

1 c dry black beans
1 small onion ,chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 T curry powder
2 c chicken or veggie broth
3-4 sweet potatoes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup raisins
3 c spinach, chopped
1/2 cup coconut milk (whole fat cream from a can)
Adding roasted chickpeas or chicken is optional


Directions

Soak and Cook the black beans. Other wise use 2 cans of black beans that have been rinsed and drained.
Bake 4 sweet potatoes on the oven at 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours while the beans cook.

Once the sweet potatoes are done, caramelize the  onion and garlic in a large pot. Take the skin off of the sweet potatoes, chop them up and add them to the large pot.

Mix in the black beans, curry powder, broth, cayenne pepper,  raisins, chopped spinach, and coconut milk. Simmer for 15 minutes. 


No comments: