Sunday, April 11, 2010

EGG Substitutes

I just wanted to list all the different substitutes that can be used in place of eggs. I used 1/2 of a mashed banana recently in some muffins and they turned out great! However I probably wouldn’t use the banana if I were making something like, black bean burgers (I’ll have to post those soon they are soo good!) I use bread crumbs and tomato paste. So if you do do an egg replacement be aware if you are making something sweet or salty. You want to use something that will act as a binder and thickener.
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1/4 c applesauce or pureed fruit
  • 1 1/2 tsp of Ener-G Foods Egg Replacer + 2 Tbs lukewarm water
  •  Tbs psyllium husk powder + 2 Tbs water
  • 1 Tbs ground flaxseed meal + 3 Tbs water 
  • 1 Tbs ground chia seeds + 3 Tbs water
  • 1/4 c mashed potatoes/sweet potato
  • 2 Tbs potato starch or tapioca starch
  • 2-3 Tbs tomato paste
  • 1/4 c cooked oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • agar agar 

No comments: