Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Maui Zaui Pizza

Saturday was pizza night at my house growing up. We aren't talking grab the phone and wait for the pizza boy to deliver it. We are talking my dad would grind the flour, make some amazing dough, and we would have a plethora of ingredients to top the pizza's off with. Some of my favorites were BBQ Chicken, Vegetarian, Pesto n Shrimp with Feta Cheese, and of course my all time favorite Maui Zaui.

I had Maui Zaui at a friends house and I went home and told my dad he had to recreate it! So for a very rare dinner we went out to Round Table and ordered the Maui Zaui and we all agreed it needed to join our weekly pizza party menu. The secret is the sauce, which is just sweet chili sauce that you can get in the oriental section at the grocery store. 

 GF pizza dough waiting for some toppings

Maui Zaui Pizza, my all time favorite

Maui Zaui Pizza Toppings:
  • Sweet Chili Sauce
  • Mozzarella Cheese (regular or daiya if allergic)
  • Canadian Bacon
  • Bacon (pre-cook it before putting on pizza, but not too crispy)
  • Green onion
  • Red onion
  • Tomato 
  • Pineapple 
GF Crust: I found the best recipe at Gluten Free Day

  • 4 1/2 tsps instant rise yeast
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • Blend 1 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup brown rice, and 1/2 cup teff
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbs psyllium Husk powder
  • 1  cup warm water
  • 3 Tbs olive oil



GF Crust Directions:

  1. Whisk the yeast, sugar, flour blend, salt, and psyllium husk powder in a large bowl.
    • Or you can soak the flour blend overnight  by mixing it with 1 cup of water with 1 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar to remove the phytic acid. It's an extra step but you will absorb more vitamins and minerals
  2. Whisk the warm water and olive oil together.
  3. Add the oil/water to the dry ingredients and mix for 5 minutes. You can use a hand mixer, Bosch,  or Kitchen Aid. If you are using your strong arm and a spoon mix for 10 minutes. 
  4. Form a ball and place in a dark warm place for 20 minutes.  Get your toppings ready while the dough rises.
  5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees with a pizza stone. Place parchment paper on a pizza sheet and use a greased rolling pin to roll out the dough. Add your toppings and place the pizza in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes for thin crust or until the crust has browned and the center of the pizza is bubbling. 
Note: I recommend rolling the dough out thinner than you think is normal. It rises significantly, and my family likes a thin crust. You can see in the two pictures I posted how much it rises. I rolled the dough out as thin as I normally like my pizza (I wasn't sure it would rise a whole lot.) Then if you look at the finished pizza you can see the crust puffed up quite a bit, it was thicker than we normally like. 

 

1 comment:

travacor said...

I appreciate spending some time to talk about that, I believe firmly regarding this and so really enjoy understanding more about this kind of subject.Keep up the good work!