Sunday, May 15, 2011

Vitamina de Abacate

This smoothie was made with avocado, lime juice, frozen banana, non-dairy milk, spirulina, and stevia

This avocado smoothie is such a treat! My recipe is based on the one that my dad used to make for me growing up. He fell in love with it in Brazil, there they call it vitamina de abacate. There are a few different ways it can be made so I'll share some different options. 

First peel a banana, slice it up and place it in a small Tupperware container and freeze it. I usually keep several bananas in the freezer because I use them in smoothies. If the banana isn't frozen the texture of the smoothie will be goopy instead of creamy. (picture from google images)

slice an avocado and add it to the blender. (picture from google images)

Squeeze in lime or lemon juice. I usually use a lime but a lemon will also work

Scoop a teaspoon of spirulina. A handful of spinach or kale can also be used. 

Add 8 oz of yogurt for a thick smoothie or 8 oz of milk for a thin smoothie. I like both ways, it just depends on what I feel like at the time I am making it. 

I use Bellwether Farms sheep milk yogurt since I am sensitive to cows milk. Goat milk yogurt has too strong of a flavor for me. For milk I use my own nut milks since I am allergic to cow's. Even when I make a smoothie using yogurt I add a little milk as well, otherwise it won't blend.

 

 Delicious!

After I blend the smoothie I taste it. Sometimes I add a few drops of stevia. Usually the banana makes it sweet enough, however now and then it needs a little something extra. Raw honey or turbinado can also be used. 


Vitamina de Abacate (Avocado Smoothie, serves 2)
1 frozen ripe banana, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 avocado
Juice of 1 lime or lemon (optional)
2 cups plain full fat yogurt or milk of your choice
1 tsp spirulina or 1 handful of spinach/kale
A few drops of stevia or 2 medjool dates


Peel, slice, and freeze 1 ripe banana. Add the banana and the rest of the ingredients (except for the sweetener) to the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Depending on the size of the banana and avocado it may need a little extra milk to help it blend. Taste to see if it needs sweetener. If it does add a few drops of stevia or a tsp of raw honey and blend one more time. Pour into two 12 oz glasses and enjoy!

I posted this on Kelly the Kitchen Kop's blog for her Real Food Wednesday post! Check it out to see other blogger's recipes for real food!

3 comments:

[M] said...

Have you ever heard anything about stevia causing infertility? I used to use it until I read that it lowers sperm count in men and can affect a women's menstrual cycle. Not sure how concrete the evidence is. Traditional groups in paraguay use it for birth control. We are back to raw honey...

Belkycita said...

Thanks! now I have to tell David he is not crazy and that he wasn't just trying to trick me when he said he had a banana and avocado smoothie in Venezuela.
Now I'll just have to give it a try ;-)

Kathryn M said...

M A, I have heard that as well about stevia. I'm not too worried at the moment I have plenty of friends that use stevia and don't seem to have any problems getting pregnant. Stevia isn't the only sweetener I use, raw honey, xylitol, and maple syrup are also in my cupboard. It is a good thing to keep in mind though, (when we want kids).
Belky, I think of my dad every time I make it. I try to picture him as a 19 year old missionary from Vernal, Utah enjoying fruit he didn't have access to growing up! I'm glad David was able to try it as well!